Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Something Accomplished, Something Done!

This is the yellow & earth tone quilt I made for my dentist's daughter. The photos aren't doing the colors justice -- I guess yellow is a tough color to capture. I am pleased with the quilting on this one -- for the middle I used a freehand version of a pantograph design I saw in a Fons & Porter issue. (They're very good about showing the quilt design of a quilt they've featured using dotted lines on a washed out illustration.)

For the middle section, I took advantage of the geometry both of the quilt and the yellow fabric and did a grid freehand.

And on the outermost border, I did daisies that get cut off by the binding. Aesthetically, I'm not sure that's optimal, but I rather like the effect for other reasons. I used white thread here, and then a variegated yellow thread for the flower centers.

The back. You can see the middle quilting design a bit better here.

And here.

I handed the quilt off to the people in the office over my dentist's office -- they're lawyers, which probably doesn't make them more honest than the rest of the world, just more likely to see that there's no point in stealing something when I'm certain to follow up!

2 comments:

Shelina said...

This is such a beautiful quilt - and wonderful quilting!

Magdalen said...

Thank you -- I resist the lure of stunningly perfect long-arm quilting, mostly because if I don't practice my free-motion quilting, I'll never improve to a place where I'm happy with it. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm happier with this quilt than I was with the last one, and that was better than the one before that - so I'm going in the right direction, at least. :-)