Thursday, June 12, 2008

Slow finish

I was supposed to finish the yellow baby quilt today, in order to take it to the quilt guild meeting. Not happening. I had a full 12-hour session of continuing legal education on Tuesday, which necessitated getting up at 5 a.m., driving a couple hours, sitting in a small room with a less-than-compelling instructor until the evening, then driving home in the rain. Two things kept this from being a nightmare: I brought some cross stitch (although not enough; I finished everything I had before the evening session even started!) and I like to drive.

But the whole thing left me feeling unenthusiastic about the quilt. The one thing that got me a little revved up was the possibility of using a Sharon Schamber basting technique. I've bought some red oak (very heavy) 1x4 lumber, basting needles, and button thread in case I can't find my stash of pearl cotton. I just haven't gotten the top finished, a rather necessary step in the process. I will finish it today so that I can take the top in to the quilt guild, but I'll have to demonstrate the basting method another time.

Incidentally, I'm not sure how I feel about the Sharon Schamber Network pay-for-content deal. There's lots of good stuff on the free site, but I wonder what she could have on pay-to-see-them videos that makes it work $20/month. The way I see it, if you're already good enough to have even a rational chance of winning at Paducah, you don't need Sharon Schamber's techniques to put you over the edge. But maybe someone is a paid member of the SSN and can speak to its value -- ?

No comments: